Before we go ahead and let you know the steps of hosting a website you should know the meaning of hosting a website literally means that you a company for sharing all the files on their web server as you will be purchasing the hosting. The servers will be of the company and the hosting part will be yours wherein you will type the domain name into your web browser. Here the DNS makes sure that you are connected to the right systems.
Steps to host a website on Windows 7 :
- Click on Start<<Control Panel<<Programs after which click on Turn Windows Features On or Off << Internet Information Services check the box and click OK for the installation to happen.
- Close all the dialogs again click on Start, search ‘IIS’ in the search box then choose ‘Internet Information service Manager’ link from the list.
- There would be the triangle next to your machine name in the Connections Panel of the IIS Manager. This should expand the link. Click the “Sites” link, and click the “Add Web Site” link in the Actions panel on the right.
- Enter any name in the “Site name” box. This would be your domain name or another that you want to use to identify your site.
- In the directory where your content will be saved, using the browse button to the right “Physical path” box.
- Choose apt name that will suit the site name which should be different from the name mentioned above.
- If you have not created already, use the browse for creating it. The default is C:\inetpub\wwwroot. Right click on the same.
- Move your cursor over “New,” and select “Folder” from the options. Click OK.
- Then enter the full host name of site in the Host name box without the quotes. Click OK. You can now see the new site mentioned in the Sites panel the dialog box. Close the dialog.
- Put your content in the directory you have mentioned. Type ‘localhost/‘.
- Then ‘yoursitename‘ will be the site name entered in Step 4 above.
- You will now be seeing the initial page appearing, mentioning that the installation has been done successfully on web server Windows 7.